Deep Dish Skillet Pizza



I love pizza. Usually not the kind that you eat with a fork and knife (and it really bugs me for some reason when people fold their pizza in half and eat it.) I don't know why, but it just looks gross to me. LOL (sorry honey!)

But I saw this deep dish pizza from Menu Musings and it looked sooooooo good. Good enough to break out the fork and knife. ;) I know I said in my ravioli post about how I don't think I'd make a good Italian wife, but I think I redeemed myself with this pizza. It was YUMMM. EEEE. Did I mention it has a cheese stuffed crust? Oh. YEAH!



I used the pizza crust /calzone recipe also from Menu Musings. The recipe was for calzones and said it would make 6, but for pizza, it took about half the dough. The other half I threw in the freezer for later. Don't feel guilty about using store bought/ready made crust if you want to save time. No judging here.

Pizza Dough (from Menu Musings of A Modern Mom)



1 cup warm water
1 pkg yeast
2 tsp sugar
2-3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp EACH oregano, basil & Italian seasoning
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp oil (I use Grapeseed oil)

In a microwavable bowl, mix water and yeast; add sugar. Add 1 cup of flour and mix well. After the first cup, add salt, cheese & herbs. Add remaining flour. Move to work surface and knead the dough 5-8 minutes, stretching & kneading until smooth. Add the oil to the bowl and put dough in bowl, flipping around to cover with oil. Cover with a damp kitchen towel, put in microwave on low power (setting 1) for 2 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes. Repeat until dough is doubled in size. (Mine was done after 2 rounds.)




After your dough has doubled, punch down and divide in half. Preheat your oven to 450. Roll out dough on a floured surface large enough hang over your pan. Freeze the other half of the dough or make 2 pizzas. :)


She suggests to oil the bottom of your pan to make your crust more crispy. (Personally, I am going to skip this next time as I didn't care for it.)


Now comes the fun part! Grab your string cheese (or cut up pieces if you have block cheese) and start rolling it in your crust.



This is just so genious, I tell ya! Go all the way around.


Next, grab your fixins'. I am going with pepperoni, green & black olives, feta and sun dried tomatoes. It makes my mouth water just typing it!

Fill the bottom with your meat first. Then I added my feta and sun dried tomatoes.


Next I added my olives. I love green & black olives on pizza!


And then a little bit of mozzarella cheese and my sauce. I used an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce from my pantry (I know, homemade would've been much better and I do have some frozen but I didn't plan ahead enough to have that ready.) There were so many other delicious flavors going on, the canned sauce was OK. But, I think the full 8 ounce can was too much. Next time I'd maybe use 3/4 of a cup.


Finally, go nuts with the cheese! Sprinkle some Italian seasoning on top if you feel so inclined.


Next, she says to heat your pan on the stove to get the crust going ahead of time. Like I said, next time, I'm skipping this step.


Throw in the oven and bake for 20-22 minutes. I watch it because I don't like my cheese to get too brown. Let it sit for about 10 minutes after taking it out to firm up before cutting it.


My "piece" pictures aren't as nice as hers because like I said, I think I used a little too much sauce but it still tasted awesome.And I didn't get many pictures of the slices, I was too busy eating!


It was just my hubby and I eating dinner. Enough left for his lunch tomorrow!


I will definitely be making this again very soon.
What are your favorite pizza toppings?
Pin It

Check out where I Link Party and share my posts!

Comments

  1. Looking very yummy this deep dish skilled pizza. It is like supper pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is Anna! Thanks for stopping by! ~ Mama Ging

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, looks awesomely delish! love skillet dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fantastic!! I'm visiting from the From the Farm Blog Hop, I pinned this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting & pinning Heather, enjoy! ~ Mama Ging

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for checking it out JoAnn! ~ Mama Ging

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

A penny for your thoughts? I'd love to hear from you! I read each one and respond when called for. :)