Taking Advantage of Summer Veggies Part 2



Here is the second recipe I promised using summer vegetables. It's Calabacitas With Potatoes that I found at Salad In a Jar. If you missed Part 1 of my summer veggies, you can still check it out! Calabacitas means "little squashes."

 Again, this is a recipe using summer veggies of yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes (yeah! I got to use some from our garden!) potatoes and this time, green chilis (I used a small can) and fresh corn on the cob! So, grab 2 medium potatoes, ½ cup (or your preferred amount) chopped onion, 3 yellow squash and/or zucchini squash-largely diced and 2 small tomatoes, diced. I used whatever tomatoes I found ready in our garden. I just LOVE the color combination of these veggies!


Start out by preparing your 3 ears of corn on the cob. The original recipe says to microwave it with saran wrap but I don't like {likely harmful} plastic melting on my food so I did it the old fashioned way - with boiling water in a pot on the stove. I did 4 ears and enjoyed eating one while I was making this dish ;).


MMMMMM! I absolutely LOVE corn on the cob. It's soooo worth the hassle of cleaning your teeth afterwards! While your corn is going, wash a couple of medium sized potatoes, cut into chunks and start to fry in a skillet with some olive oil. Cover & cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Add some chopped onion and sautee until soft.


Add your squash and zucchini to the covered skillet, cooking until tender, stirring occasionally. Add your tomatoes & green chilis. Cover and cook 1 more minute. Season with salt & pepper and 1 tsp of fresh or dried oregano.

Slice your corn off the cob keeping large chunks in tact. Add 2 tablespoons of cream or milk to the skillet, and gently stir the corn into the other vegetables to mix.


And there you have some super yummy summer veggies! I also shredded some fresh grated Parmesan cheese on top....


My hubby ate his in a bowl, I had mine as taco filling. It was sooo good!


Are you taking advantage of summer veggies? Try some of these recipes, you won't be disappointed!


Pin It
Check out where I Link Party and share my posts!




Comments