My First Attempt at Ruffles

Ruffles? This may sound like I will post about sewing but given my limited sewing skills, I'm attempting ruffles in the kitchen before attempting them in my sewing room. I can honestly say I have not made either before. I have made several cakes lately decorating with roses and since I have that pretty much (to my satisfaction) mastered, I have admired cakes that had the ruffle look to them so I wanted to try that next. I wanted to make a cake that was different from what I had been making lately, so I made this Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Cake. Since I wanted a layered cake, I used regular round cake pans and not a bundt. I also used dark chocolate cocoa as well as chopped dark chocolate pieces. I didn't go with the blog's recommended frosting recipe (however, it does sound quite good & will use at a later date), I used my go-to buttercream and colored it the Tiffany blue. I am pleased with how it turned out, but I think I need to make my rows a little wider, but not bad for the first time. I followed this youtube video for the procedure and I was little disappointed it didn't show more on how to do the top. That, I know I need more practice on. I tried to find other instructions to show how to do the top better, but every blog I found referred to this same video. Oh well, practice makes perfect so I will just keep practicing!

If anyone knows any helpful tips for this ruffle decorating, I'd love to hear them. But for now, I will show you my cake :)


Not really quite sure how the top is supposed to look like, since I didn't get a good view from that video.


the ruffles up close & personal

 when you cut a piece, I think it looks pretty so the top didn't turn out too bad.


I like the contrasting colors of the dark chocolate with the Tiffany blue frosting!

I've already got my next style of decorating I want to attempt picked out after I master the ruffle!

Comments