"If Thou Tastest a Crust of Bread....

thou tastest all the stars and all the heavens.” --Robert Browning.... People, I'm here to tell you, get ready to taste all the stars and all the heavens with this Mom's Wonderful English Muffin Bread recipe from One Good Thing By Jillee (not me haha). Now, I admit, I was a little skeptical at first and did not want to "waste" 11 cups of flour making 4 loaves of bread I wasn't sure was going to be all she claimed her mother's wonderful recipe was. So, I made half the recipe and made only 2 loaves (plus I only have 2 loaf pans). I have one word to say about that - DON'T. Make all 4 because you'll regret making only 2 like I did (since I already have a half loaf eaten by myself just in the time it took me to do this post.) I am loving just eating it toasted with butter (I'm not a jam Jill). So, don't walk - run to your pantry and get this bread going. She doesn't mention how long it takes to rise, just says until it reaches the top of your pan. I was going to time it myself to give an idea of how long but I set my oven to 175 degrees, turned it off when it got there and left the door open just a crack to let mine rise inside. I forgot to see how long it took but I'm guessing it was less than an hour. Mine also baked in about 32 minutes, but again I only had 2 loaves. The dough WILL be very sticky - that's OK. Here is my taste of the stars and heavens......


 
perfectly browned on all sides


I really hope you do go make yourself some, the recipe stands up to it's name - thank you Mom Carole! For this batch I used all bread flour, I think my next batch I will make half bread flour and half whole wheat flour.

Comments